Gadget Love at First Type! Toshiba Portégé G900




I decided to take a break yesterday, so I took a much-needed stroll around the mall, peering at tech toyz galore. One of the things that caught my eye was the Toshiba Portégé G900.

The Toshiba Portégé G900 is a cute smartphone. I have no deep love for smartphones, to be honest. Instead, I prefer other mobile devices. I was eyeing the eeePC 900, the iPod Touch, the Amazon Kindle, and a Canon Ixus digicam, but there was nothing in my “technolust portfolio” that ever indicated a deep desire for a smartphone.

Until the Toshiba Portégé G900 that I saw yesterday.

This baby, while getting so-so reviews, opened up the world of smartphone salivation to me. One reason? The keyboard a writer would truly love.

While O2 and HTC dominated the smartphone market recently, Toshiba’s seemingly experimental Toshiba Portégé G900 made nary a whisper when it got into our local market. But as I tried it out and played with its functions, I saw all the reasons why I would want one, though I do have a couple of concerns, which I will point out later.

One of the main reasons why I would ever want an all-in-one mobile machine was that when I go out to mingle with the “real world,” there are moments wherein I would need to wait for someone or to kill time in queues. In those moments, I feel that I really needed something to either surf the Internet with, to be able to write some articles on, or to note all the new ideas that come to me in those “Eureka!” moments that seem to come upon you right at the moment when you have nothing else to write with... And, something to read my many e-book downloads on. If it has a built-in camera, I would be all the happier, too.

I had pondered about the iPod Touch, the Amazon Kindle, the eeePC, but something was always lacking. With the iPod touch, the touch screen would just defeat my need for a note-taking machine. The Amazon Kindle, on the other hand, was just a place to read e-books on. The eeePC... Well, just imagine being on a bus and trying to type out one article on those uber-small keys. Not really fun, right?

Until yesterday, when I saw this baby. It was love at first type!

The keyboard was possibly a glimpse of writer’s heaven. The OS, being Windows Mobile, needed me to bump my head on the wall, especially with all my attempts to actually make the bluetooth work, the camera was so-so, but, when I go back to the fact that it has a PDF reader, and I can write decent articles rather fast on it, I knew I found tech love.

Even TrustedReviews agrees with me on the beauty and artistry (/me iz exaggerating heheh) of the Toshiba Portégé G900’s keyboard.

Despite my misgivings about the image quality of the camera (see right), If only for the keyboard, the WiFi, the VoIP, the GPRS and HSDPA/3G* functions of this baby, I am all for this machine! I believe I will so love this when I do have it.

Now all I need to do is to pray about it, and believe I will have it soon!



*3G is so useful when your DSL is down, heheh.



Links to more info about
the Toshiba Portégé G900:

Quick preview of a new Widescreen Pocket PC
TrustedReviews.com Review of
Toshiba Portégé G900
Five must-have features of a Web browsing smartphone
GSM Arena Specs and Features Sheet of Toshiba Portégé G900

Comments

Popular Posts